Friday, September 9, 2011

Just a bit about this project.

So, I write all of these starter posts as I come off the high of my floor stain so hopefully all of it made some kind of sense.


I just want to throw a few things out there before I go any further.

I am not just winging this, I have a bunch of great resources at hand to help me out from the good old internet to relatives and friends that do this sort of stuff every day. My brother in law and his brother have been a great help when I am stuck on something that scares me, not scare me in a 'ahhhh' kinda way, rather in a 'I might just fuck this all up' way. I also work for a guy that has his Electricians Journeyman ticket so he has given me lots of help with electrical questions.


For stuff like the plumbing I know the folks at the local electrical and plumbing supply store and they really know their stuff. I also hit up a guy that we use at work for some plumbing work, he came over one day to take a look at my plumbing/ water lines and gave me a big thumbs up with how I had them all set up.


This whole project is meant to be done on the cheap. Initial investment aside I am at $1100 right now and that includes a blog post that I will add with a bunch of stuff that I bought at re-stores in the city. So far the biggest cost was the 3/8" OSB but Leo at our lumber yard has been giving me really great prices on all the timber I buy so that has helped in a big way.

I had the help of my sister when sanding the floors. She went ahead of me and sanded off most of the stamping on the OSB while I ran the big sander.


I don't really know what the final outcome will be here. For all I know I could end up selling it and losing money but in the end I have the experience and I think that is worth more than the dollars that are going to come out of it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment