Saturday, September 17, 2011

Edmonton shopping haul




Hinton doesn't have the greatest variety of supplies. Sure if you're looking for something basic you can find it at a greatly marked up price but all in all, I am trying to get stuff in the city in lump sums.


I hit all the home building re-usable stores in Edmonton and got some great buys.

The big old antique sink that has now completely re-arranged my plans for the kitchen was by far my best deal. Fifty bucks and it is in pretty good shape. This behemoth is five wide and weighs quite a bit but I snapped it up as soon as I saw it. It'll need to be re-finished but I am currently looking into some unique finishes to both keep the cost down and save me from sanding this beast. Notice the top left corner... that is floor stain, my bad.

Starting with the windows, I picked up this 31"x32" window for fifteen bucks, it is tinted so I don't get the greatest view of my neighbours but I'll live with it and smile at the deal.

I grabbed two of these green babies for eighty bucks, they came out of a commercial building and weigh a metric shit ton but the price was right for double pane windows that open. 42"x42" and a bonus was that they were a half inch shorter than the windows they replaced and just seven inches narrower so I didn't have to mess with headers and general precision cutting etc.

I am planning on putting this between my fridge and stove, just a little 6" wide cupboard.

This stuff was an odd buy and worked really well in my plan to have some sort of wainscotting from north to south on the non-kitchen main wall. There was five garbage cans of this type of board, I suspect they were exterior wall shingles (or something like that). We roughly figured out how many linear feet was needed and went to sorting them all out. I think there ended up being 160 of them and we got them for 30 cents a foot, way cheaper than new wainscotting and I think it'll look really good once it gets up.

Mind the mess.

My sister found this little unit and it was just five bucks. For now it is a stand for my laptop that plays me some punk rock whenever I'm working.

This stuff was a great find. I was at a loss for what to lay down in the bathroom as I didn't want to have the stained OSB in there. Initally I was thinking of going with some kind of rubber shop flooring but I stumbled across this ash Bamboo flooring for twenty five bucks a box. I think I could have just grabbed one but it sells for close to seventy five a box so I could eat the cost of a little extra material.

Finally, I think these tiles were fifty cents a piece and they had nine. If my terrible calculations are correct that should be enough to tile the bottom of my shower pan.



Now I did have to buy some new stuff but even with that I hit some great deals and stayed true to my cheap plan.



These were on sale which I really like. I needed a bunch for the shower and I was able to trade a bottle of Rye for some more here in town. They should look really slick on the shower.

These lights are in the bathroom. At ten bucks a piece they were actually cheaper than just getting simple wall mount bell fixtures. They should look really good with the sheating that I'm using for the shower surround.

No comments:

Post a Comment