Friday, September 9, 2011

I call 2X4's "tuberfores" now.

Framing my bathroom in and the big sanding project

This is what I call a grade A water line setup. I really did try to solder some copper stuff, then I made that FTS face again and went with 1/2" compression fittings and thread to PEX Shark Bite fittings. The dryer line previously wasn't actually hooked up to anything and that whole bathroom floor demo had the added benefit of having a disgusting layer of dryer lint that had been absorbing water for years! Yay for me! Getting set up to make PEX lines really hit the pocketbook but I think it will be worth it. The folks at our local Bartle and Gibson were awesome when I would go in with random newbie renovation guy questions and they helped me out every step as I tried to get this all set up and lined in.
This is the start of my shower pan. I did the math and realized that it would be cheaper to just make my own, except I have no idea how to do it so I watch how-to videos every night. Actually most of the stuff that I've done thus far have been with the help of YouTube.
Not shown in this picture is just how terribly bad I am at not only driving in framing nails (no air gun for this guy) but also how I am somehow genetically unable to make walls straight and or square. Drywall will hide that, right?
The big-ass sander from Cat rentals! I really should have taken more pictures of this process. When I layed the 3/8" OSB down I had it with the rough side down so on the top side you could see the factory stamp.. that had to go. I hit it with my belt sander and got rid of all the stamps then used wood filler on all of my rookie cuts where the boards didn't fit right and on all (most) of the screw holes. I sanded the floor with the industrial sander first with 90 grit three times then switched to 120 grit and sanded it twice with that. I shop vac'd the floor between every sanding and also re-applied wood filler where needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment